March 6, 2010

Box 'o Veg

Ever since we found out we would be moving to California, I have been looking forward to signing up for a locally grown produce subscription service. So as soon as we moved in, I started asking everyone if there was any such local service and then I finally stumbled upon one called Abundant Harvest. The best part about AHO is that it's a year round program since the CA growing season is so good - most places only run from May to October. We got our first produce box today and I couldn't have been more excited. Why? I'll give you a couple of reason (mainly cause I adore lists)...
  1. It's like I'm getting a Christmas present every Saturday
  2. The produce is locally grown
  3. It's all organic baby
  4. Everything is picked just a day or so before delivery, so food you get is fresh and IN SEASON
For some reason, I feel totally yuppie/hippy-ish admitting to this but I just can't wait to see what we get each week. Today our little box contained kiwis, artichokes, oranges, shallots, carrots, potatoes, chard, collard greens, pea tendrils, and parsley.

So, who's coming to dinner?

6 comments:

joolee said...

good for you! i've been wanting to do this too and there are SO many farms to choose from here in WA, so that's been the tough part, comparing prices and whatnot. but it's such a great idea, huh?? support your local farms!

The Martinsen Family said...

Sign us up. We are on our way for dinner. I love the artichokes, that sounds so yummy. I love your lists to:)

Kris said...

I'm jealous that your local farms deliver kiwi. If we signed up, all we'd get is greens, beets, and radishes :(

Angela said...

I am most definitly jealous. Those carrots look unreal!

Rachelle said...

that's the perfect stuff for a week. And just when you're getting low, another box comes! Awesome. Love Petey and his trains by the way.

David Lee said...

That's some beautiful veggies. What a great find. I had collards at Paschals today, and if you put them in your pressure cooker with various additives, they should get as tender as turnip greens... yum...