July 19, 2015

Chateau de Chillion and Montreux

Our next road trip took us to the small town of Montreux, on the banks of Lake Geneva. Montreux gave me a chance to dust off my college French (11 years is a long time!) and we got to see the gorgeous Chateau de Chillion. The construction of this gorgeous castle began in the 12th century and was added on throughout the years as different owners occupied the palace.

The castle dungeons were exceptionally atmospheric. Before coming I had read Madeline L'Engle's And Both Were Young and I could not help but be excited to see the dungeon that so captured Flip's imagination.
  This is the place where Lord Byron carved his name on a pillar and then went on to write the poem "The Prisoner of Chillion."


I just could not get over how incredible it was to walk around this surprisingly well-kept castle. Below is the interior courtyard and I had visions of every single one of my favorite historical fiction novels.






 And once we got up high on the ramparts, the views of Montreux and Lake Geneva were glorious!



 Once they, um, kicked us out -- we walked around the outside of the castle to check out the towers on the Lake Geneva side. So picturesque.


I so did not want to leave. I swear we were the last people inside and they all but locked the doors behind us as we left. I'm still trying to convince Travis that we need a castle of our own but I don't think he is quite sold on the idea yet.

1 comment:

joolee said...

Oh my heavens, that castle!!! (swoon....)