December 29, 2014

Vasquez Rocks

We have so many natural wonders near us that we've made a goal to visit as many as we can while it's not blazing hot outside. The boys are both totally obsessed with rocks or what they think are 'gems' at the moment and so are always up for an opportunity to go tromping around. 
Last Saturday we went out to Vasquez Rocks -- which has some truly spectacular rock formations but  unfortunately we chose a super, super cold day to go! Like 35-40 degrees max with a nice brisk wind the entire time. That's basically freezing to us California folk! We had a blast but were all pretty frozen by the time we made it back to the car.


Benji cracks us up when we go hiking. He and Peter are usually a bit cautious at the outset but as soon as they get confident scrambling over the rocks, Benji especially starts chattering nonstop. On this trip, he kept saying "I'm a billy goat!" Or whenever someone tried to hold his hand on a tricky spot or say be careful, he'd quickly retort "I know!" He cracks us up.

Peter got a new hiking backpack for Christmas with a water bladder and was so proud to wear it the entire day. We love our little adventurer. 



Nora was a trooper in the backpack. I was worried she wasn't enjoying herself with the cold and all the bouncing around, but halfway through we realized she had totally sacked out! I guess all that being carried around wore her out.

 Travis was especially thrilled to explain the different types of rocks to the kids and why they were all jutting up so dramatically. I wished I had brushed up on my geology before going since I couldn't remember much beyond igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks. Oy. College seems like forever ago...
The kids had a ball and it was definitely a spot we'll have to explore another time.
Though maybe on a bit warmer day.

1 comment:

joolee said...

I've been there! My roommates and I spent a week in CA with one of our friends after freshman year. From there we all flew home to our respective states, but it was a blast! Gorgeous scenery!