January 9, 2010

We Haz Chikins!

Last night we picked up our newest additions to the Millet family. That's right, Trav has finally gotten his wish and we now are the proud parents of 11 week-old chicks. Petey also picked up a sword. He swings it a lot. And oftens ends up hitting me. I think it might disappear during naptime tomorrow. So in honor of Petey's new-found gladiator skills, we've christened our chicks thus (click on the image to enlarge):Name - Breed
Tiberius - Easter Egger/Americana
Germanicus - barred rock
Octavian* - Buff Orpington 1**
Mark Antony - Buff Orpington 2**
Marcus Lepidus - Buff Orpington 3**
Flavius - Black Cochin
Titus -White Cochin
Claudius - Blue silkie***
Commodus - other small Black Silkie
Drusus - Black Silkie
Maximus - small Black Silkie****

They are small. They chirp A LOT, and are pretty darn cute. And if they don't stay cute for long, well, then we've got walking food storage. Petey seems to like them so far, if trying to pick them up by their head and constantly saying: "Hey Chickie" is any indication.

* I don't know why Octavian is wearing a scarf - ask my crazy husband - but you have to admit, it looks dang funny. Rock the scarf Octavian. Own it.
** We can't tell the Buff Orpington's apart so they are all named after members of the second Roman Triumvirate
*** because he's a gimp
**** that's a bit of irony for you, because he's the smallest which also equates to being the cutest

10 comments:

joolee said...

you guys are too funny, and yes, I must agree that they are pretty cute. :) (and what a lovely sword! what is it with boys?? madsen grabbed a huge plastic sword off the Goodwill shelves one day before I could stop him and wouldn't let go for nuthin' - so the cashier lady became my accomplice and hid it at the last minute. i bolted out of the store so fast, just as he started to scream about the sword. phew - it was a close one.)

Michelle said...

Julie - how funny! Petey picked his up today at a thrift shop too. I wish I had had a nice cashier to help me hide it though..

David Lee said...

Peter looks so serious, like he's off to the gladiator arena! You two (three) are just soooo funny! I do think Tiberius should be renamed Chipmunkius - he looks just like the one who lived under our back door in Norcross Maximus is just too cute for words. Don't eat him until he turns ugly. Love mom

Ashley B. said...

I'm not sure which gladiator chicken looks the toughest . . . they all look kinda soft to me.

Kris said...

So, um, who does the killing? And, um, the cleaning?
City girl here, but I kind of like my chicken wrapped in cellophane.
And what will you do with the, um, droppings?

Austin said...

You can wrap the sword in pipe insulation and duct tape. That will make it not hurt as much. You could also get your own and battle him so he learns what it feels like ;)

Angela said...

I love it! I bet you will one day have some most delicious eggs. And for now, they are adorable.

Rachelle said...

Chickens! Ha! love it. By the way--the conference in toronto Dave and Travis are putting a paper into is in August. You and Petey should go too, and meet up with us.

Anonymous said...

How cute and clever! So you'll be the neighbor anyone can go to when they run out of eggs! You guys are so awesome!

Katie said...

Oh they are so cute! I love little chickies.