January 21, 2010

Offroading trip to Schmidt's tunnel

For MLK day, we went with a few of Trav's co-workers on an offroading trip to see Schmidt's Tunnel. Basically it's a mine shaft some guy dug in which he never actually got anything out of. Unless you count a couple of tons of rock. But now it's a great tourist attraction because the tunnel runs right through a mountain and you walk it from end to end. Very cool. Here's us at the mouth - notice how low the entry is, it's like that most of the way.Us on the other side of the tunnel. Very cold, very windy, very rainy.
Notice how blue all the pics are? Yeah, that's because I was fiddling with my camera and accidentally took a bunch of pics on the 'cool' setting. Which I guess is pretty apt in my opinion.I'm sad because I didn't get any pictures inside these tunnels, but these are some really cool talc mines. You know, like talcum powder? Basically they were these giant holes that would go down about 50-100 feet that had this fine white powder everywhere. Very cool. Also very muddy during a rainstorm.

3 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

I've totally been there! Have you gone to Tronah yet? Don't let the gagging smell of sulfur dissuade you - it's pretty cool.

gardeniagirl said...

I love the "cool" setting. It makes you guys look more like you're from the '80s.

Ashley B. said...

You're adventures are making my husband jealous . . . (keep posting them and maybe he'll "come up" with the idea to visit you:) )