January 30, 2011

Party Time = Crazy Time

For the first time, we decided to throw Peter an actual birthday party for all his little friends this year. This happened mainly because we don't have any family around and we wanted to do something for the little guy. We decided to throw a farm themed party because Petey's been asking for things like a donkey, a camel, a tiger and this is the closest I could get to that.

This is what the house looked like before all the kidlets arrived. Although to be honest this picture was taken after I cleaned up the 5-gallon bucket of flour I had spilled on the kitchen floor half-an-hour before guests arrived. Gah. What a mess.
In a moment of sheer brilliance, Trav and I decided to build a barn for the party out of cardboard boxes. This was probably one of our better party ideas. The kids climbed in and out all night long and we had some toy cows and pigs they could throw in through the little hay loft window. Also - see those cute little barn gift bags on the mantel? Thank goodness for Target's dollar spot this month, I found those and all these cool farm toys that made up the majority of the goody-bag treasures for the party.

As they were arriving we had all the kids make animal ear hats. Here's the entire crew with their creations. Petey looks pretty pleased to have all his friends around, doesn't he?

After playing a few farm-themed games, it was time to open presents. Sheer pandemonium I tell you. But I tell you that the boy made out like a bandit! His little friend's mommies sure exactly what he likes: Cars, Toy Story, and farm stuff. Probably the favorites were a Cars umbrella (which he loves - especially since it rained today and he got to use it) and a Uno Moo game. Also, notice the elusive shot of Michelle large with child. I am feeling every day of my 6 months lately.

Then we gathered the kids for cake and ice cream. I don't know what I was thinking but I made the cake myself - which involved a bit of drama since I was still frosting and decorating it 10 minutes before all the guests arrived. Eek! But I think it turned out cute. Petey wanted white cake and Trav wanted chocolate so we had a layer of each. Although we still have plenty of left-overs, so if you'd like a slice, stop on by.
The kids all seemed to enjoy my efforts. 

We had a wonderful time, but man, were we ever beat afterwards! I'm pretty sure we won't be doing another party like this for a few years but it sure was fun to throw something big for Peter before this next baby arrives. Happy Birthday Peter!!

6 comments:

Lisa Lee said...

Your cake, decorations, and esp the barn were just adorable! I'm oohing and aahing over every picture. You really did a great job, we're just jealous that we weren't there. Thanks for posting so soon.

Katie said...

Oh my goodness, you are so creative. That is such a cute idea, and I love the barn you guys made. Good job on the cake too. Adorable!

joolee said...

what a BLAST of a party! great ideas! my kids LOVE Uno Moo - it's been a favorite game for over a year now. and, btw, you do NOT look large w/child!! :)

Ashley B. said...

You (and your tiny tummy) and your birthday party skills are adorable!

Angela said...

Cute party! I sure miss you guys, maybe I'll have to take some time off or something so we can get together! How about St. George? That's half way, right?

Deb Millet said...

You are the most amazing parents! The barn is absolutely adorable. Everytime I think you have out done yourselves and then you come up with some new fabulous idea! Pete is really blessed with a wonderful mom and dad. Hugs and kisses to all of you!