June 14, 2010

Sanity saver

A while back I saw this great idea on a cooking blog for keeping kids entertained while cooking. She said her mom used to spread an old sheet out on the kitchen floor and then filled an empty gallon ice cream bucket with wheat kernels. The kids could dump out the wheat and 'cook' with the kernels without making a complete mess. She also suggested setting out some measuring spoons and cups for the kids to play with.When they are done, simply use the sheet to dump the wheat back into the bucket. Easy peasy.
We've been doing this for about a month now and Petey loves it. He will always ask to 'play wheat' and it will keep him occupied while I cook dinner. Very, very sneaky. When I ask him what he is making usually he'll say 'soup.'
I just keep the gallon bucket of wheat, the sheet and some old kitchen tools in a cupboard that he can easily get to and we are all set.
Best use I've found for all that wheat food storage yet.

3 comments:

Austin said...

Is the sheet so you can fold it up to easily collect the wheat?

Michelle said...

Austin - yep. Makes cleanup a breeze.

Katie said...

That is such a good idea. I love it. I've also seen it with dry beans but I completely forgot about it. I'm going to have to start doing that.