December 4, 2012

Trains & a Skirt

Thanks to some kind cousins, Peter has a mondo train set. And I mean MONDO. 
Every year I've wanted to set up a track around the Christmas tree and even though Benji will prolly destroy it within a few days, Peter and I decided to set up a small track around the tree this morning. Although maybe it'll distract Benji from pulling off the ornaments. We can only hope.
He was so excited to set out all the different stations and tunnels.
And then...last night I finally finished that tree skirt I've been working on since October.
(inspiration here & here)
I suppose I got brave after doing all those advent calendars a few years ago.
I love how it turned out!
It's made out of felt with many, many different colored felt circles embroidered on to look like buttons. 
And yes, I know some of the circles aren't exactly symmetrical.
I was simply adding an ahem handmade touch to the project.
I even taught myself a new stitch -- the blanket stitch. Which is super easy turns out.
And here's how it looks under the tree with the train tracks.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

So crafty! I love your tree skirt!

joolee said...

love it! good job! i made crib bumpers when Celia was born and stitched on a TON of little felt circles with that blanket stitch. so fun!