August 5, 2012

Unexpected

I had one of the most eye-opening and astounding experiences this past weekend.
Yesterday I had to go to the doctor and since it was urgent care, I ended up seeing a lady I'd never been to before. As soon as I walked into the room however, she said "Oh, I know you!" I sorta looked at her funny because I had never seen this woman before in my life. She went onto say "I saw you the other day at Costco getting lunch with your boys. I sat at a table behind you and watched your family for a really long time. You had a baby on your lap and your bigger son across from you and I was so impressed with how well behaved they both were. Your older son helped you when you asked him to and he ate all his food and your baby sat still and didn't make a fuss. How did you do it?! I have a 3.5 year old and he's crazy and never listens!" 

Well. 
You can imagine I just sat there for a few minutes stunned. Firstly, I had no idea anyone was watching us that day. And secondly, I sure was glad my kiddos had behaved. 
After finally regaining my wits, I sheepishly told her "Well, they're boys so they're pretty crazy most of the time but you must have caught us on a good day."

The doctor continued on asking me what I was doing to raise such good boys for several minutes. And I just kept sitting there, thinking "I can't believe this! All those stories I heard about people watching you when you least expect it are true!" 

As I left the office I was immediately filled with an overwhelming love for my two precious boys. Peter is truly an incredible helper. I remember him taking things to the trash and holding things for me that day at Costco while I had my hands full with Benji. He is always willing to play with his little brother and I love his constant sweet smile and thirst for life. A friend told me the other day, "You just have to love Peter. There is no malice whatsoever in that child." And he's right. Peter is one truly happy boy and I am so grateful to be his Momma.

And there's Benji. My sweet baby who is growing up waaaay too fast. I love his strong-willed personality and his desire to be loved. He's so silly and cute and everybody who meets him instantly falls in love. I don't blame them. Especially with his curly hair which I still refuse to cut.

I feel so lucky to be a mother, to be able to stay home with my sweet children and to know that I am doing something important for them. 

Thank you random doctor for reminding me how much I love them. I won't mind paying that co-pay for once.
Don't you just love his curls? There's enough of it that the babysitter put it up in a ponytail while I was at girls camp last week.

 What would I ever do without LEGOs?
And I finally made something off my Pinterest boards. This pillow mattress. I really couldn't find a complete tutorial for it -- my only instructions said, "use 4 pillows and 3 yards of fabric." Well I got creative and after sewing and unpicking and resewing edges more times than I can count I finally finished! Love the finished product and that Peter can fold it in all different sorts of combinations. It's our newest addition to his reading nook.

3 comments:

Lisa Lee said...

what wonderful pictures - but more adorable are the little people in them. Thank you for sharing such a sweet encounter.

Austin said...

I thought you would have said, "Well my husband is an engineer and finally produced something up to specifications." ;) Thanks for sharing the fun story.

Ashley B. said...

I was reading this when my Myna woke up and came downstairs. Now, she keeps asking "Where the brothers?" The story and pictures are so endearing. Isn't it amazing how something as intimidating as motherhood can be so motivating too? Good job, my friend, really, really good job :)