July 3, 2012

Moonsquirters

And the canning saga continues!

Last Friday a lady from our church gave us 75 lbs of tomatoes. 
SEVENTY-FIVE POUNDS.
Have you ever seen 75 lbs of tomatoes? I hadn't. Turns out it's a lot.
(this is actually the pile after I made salsa)
Nevertheless, Trav and I were not to be daunted.
We girded our aprons and set to work peeling, juicing, chopping and eventually canning tomatoes.


Final count: 4 pints of salsa, 4 quarts of spaghetti sauce, and 12 quarts of tomatoes.

For those of you keeping track, that brings this years' grand total to:
12 quarts tomatoes
4 quarts spaghetti sauce
4 pints salsa
10 half-pints raspberry jam
8 half-pints apricot/strawberry jam
5 pints cherry pie filling

The jars all look lovely sitting in my pantry but I think I'm done for a while now thanks.

3 comments:

Lisa Lee said...

Beautiful! That's a great accomplishment. But I just kept scrolling down to find out where the term Moonsquiters came from.

Michelle said...

Mom - It's an oblique reference to the show 'Charlie & Lola' in which they call tomatoes moonsquirters so that Lola will eat them...

taaperoinen said...

What beautiful tomatoes! :)