March 24, 2009

We're going ethnic

For a variety of reasons, Trav and I decided to start cooking with as much of our food storage as we can get away with and only buying perishables as needed. We've been enjoying various rice and potato dishes but I get pretty bored with the same 'ole crockpot combos so I've been branching out and going ethnic for dinner. That's right: Ethnic. So. This is where I share and you dear reader: You be amazed by my culinary expertise!

And our first stop is to the Middle East for Exhibit A (Sunday): Falafel

These bad boys are made from ground chickpeas (and a whole lotta other things) which are then fried. I served them on lettuce leaves with tomatoes and ranch. I didn't have the stuff to make the yogurt sauce which we felt the lack of but they were still tasty. So this was a for sure try again meal - except next time I think I'll bake these bad boys. Can anybody say coronary?

Moving right along to Exhibit B (Tuesday) or in which our heros travel to South America for: Beef Empanadas!

These little babies were DELISH. Beef, raisens, egg, onion and lottsa yummy spices all stuffed inside a homemade pastry shell (so easy!). Look at those scalloped edges! Aren't they purty? The only alteration I made to the recipe was to bake them instead of frying (see above comment). I'm so excited to try out this recipe with other fillings: cheese, chicken and veggies, rice and beans...endless possiblities my friend! Endless!
So there you have it -- food I make when I get bored with the same old.
What do you make when you're looking to make a change and trying to use pantry items?

6 comments:

korth fam said...

mmmmmmm you are an amazing cook, that looks so so good! Hooray for walking, and good job to Travis on the 5k, some people act like that's no big deal, I did one and it about killed me, so I say way to go!

Deb Millet said...

I'm coming to your house for dinner!!! I love "awful falafels". Yum Yum Tahzini(sp?) sauce. I had the most amazing one in Paris ages ago and have been trying to replecate it since! The empanadas looked yum-o also. I've never had an empanada.

*Jess* said...

Very impressed! Thanks for the cooking ideas, too! We love Thai and Indian food, so seldom stray from that :) I'm so glad I found you on Facebook. You'll have to tell your sister Traci I said HI :) And your mom, too!

David Lee said...

so that's what was in the frig that looked like chicken! Keeping secrets from your mom is not fair.... If I'd have only known you would have been minus a few....I LOVE empanadas.

The Martinsen Family said...

Hmmm. We will have to do that some day soon. You need to plan something with the other Michelle when they come to St. George and come with them.

Renee said...

Wow! I like both of those items, but I've never tried to make them from scratch. Yours look really yummy.