September 19, 2008

Canned Corn

Yesterday, I saw this commercial on TV and I about DIED. People tend to believe most things they see on the old tube and it scares the patooey out of me that this new ad campaign is telling Big Gulp-guzzling Americans that high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is basically the same as sugar and thus is not bad for you. Holy sugar-saturated fruit snacks Batman! Not only is this 30 second monstrosity an example of astonishingly bad acting, but it is also completely WRONG!! HFCS is in no way shape or form the same as sugar. Okay, sorry I guess they do have something in common -- they are both sweet. Thank goodness we have rules against false advertising...

So, I'm not a food scientist, but stay with me here: fructose (the sugar found in HFCS) doesn't stimulate insulin secretion. Insulin is the handy dohicky that helps us digest/absorb sugar. Thus when insulin fails, diabetes ensues. Icky. Still with me? HFCS also causes problems with our liver (where all that fructose gets broken down) leading to elevated triglycerides (the bad cholesterol) which can later lead to obesity and heart disease and death. Double ick.

Now I may be a little more sensitive to this issue than some due to my indoctrination as a small child that anything refined, sweet or basically good tasting is bad for you. But HFCS is like Big Brother -- it's everywhere. In our cereals, juice, candy, crackers, cokes, you name it, it's got HFCS. Why you ask? Because it is cheap (due to corn subsidies) and it has a long shelf life. Chalk up one more point for consumerism and Big Brother.

Now I enjoy a Cherry Coke as much as the next gal, but I imbibe knowing full well that I am not drinking something that is magically doing my body good. I know that this delicious concoction is chock full of chemically engineered sugars that my body will go into overdrive trying to digest. But I try to block that out because I'm trying to make up for all those cokes I didn't get to drink as a kid and by golly it tastes good, right?! Right??

3 comments:

Michelle D said...

Michelle - you are so GREAT! I've seen those commercials too, but hadn't formed an opinion on it until I read this post! Down with corn syrup! I'm sure glad my favorite treat these days (candy corn) is made with real honey! Bless those BEES!

Brandon and Erin said...

So I don't know if you will remember me, but this is Erin Allan (from slate canyon ward)...I saw your blogs and some others from people in that ward. I had to say hi and tell you congrats on the baby. I think it is fun to stay updated with blogs...hope all is great!

Anonymous said...

(Hey---look who you come across when you blog stalk!)

Um HORRAY! I was appalled when I saw these commercials. My husband was a pop addict and came within real threat of developing diabetes. If that were to happen, he'd lose his career (he has to pass certain medical rules.) So this is a serious issue to us, and the pop had to stop! I make every effort I can to cut out HFCS and my family all think I'm a weird freak but I don't really care. We don't eat fruit snacks, bread, spaghetti sauce, cereal, granola bars, or anything else that has HFCS. Thanks for joining me in the fight!

--Michelle Roper