August 27, 2008

New York, New York!

Welcome to the travelblog from our whirlwind trip to New York!

My best friend, Ashley, decided to get married in beautiful Palmyra, NY -- and the next week we got our economic stimulus package in the mail, fortuitous timing! Being savvy college educated individuals, we decided to do our patriotic duty and stimulate the economy by taking a trip to the Big Apple and all the LDS church history sites in upstate NY. So here's our trip, it's long, it's crazy, but enjoy!


Petey exhausted on the subway. We could probably do an entire post of Petey sleeping through everything we did in NY. But he was a champ and fared great on the plane ride and slept all the way to Palmyra!!


Hanging out in Central Park.


We took the Staten Island Ferry with Ashley and got a great view of the Statue of Liberty at sunset.


I love this picture of Ash and Trav laughing while on the boat.


Ashley just lives a few blocks down from the Bronx Zoo, so we spent the morning exploring the animal kingdom. We loved seeing the gorillas and the monkeys -- Petey's brothers -- but Trav decided to boycott the giraffes. Think high-mimicing Trav voice: "Look at me, I'm the tallest animal in the jungle!" Trav: "I hate those guys"! No one really knows why he doesn't like giraffes, he just doesn't.

Because they're tall, spotty, leaf-eating ladders with no rungs, that's why! - Travis



Being cheapskate college students we rented the cheapest car we could find, but by the time we got to Hertz right at closing time all the economy cars were gone. So they upgraded us to a 2008 midnight black Ford Mustang for free. Dang! I hate it when that happens. It wasn't really car seat friendly and the sound of the engine kept waking Peter, but it was worth it for the looks of jealousy and admiration from high school dropouts and 16 year olds.


Millet's roaming through the Sacred Grove. Beautiful.


I love this pic of Trav and Petey's in the Smith Frame home. I think because he looks so at home by this 19th century fireplace.


Niagara Falls! And yes, we made it into the Canadian side even though we had to convince a power-tripping Mountie we weren't trying to smuggle Peter in/out of the country because I had forgotten his birth certificate. Look at his face here, can you tell we missed nap time?


The majestic Niagara Falls.


Now we come to the real reason for the trip in the first place -- Ashley and Peter Bontorno's wedding. It was beautiful and I was so glad we could be a part of it all.


Me and the beautiful bride. Please notice the smart-looking jacket I'm wearing with my dress. I had originally had a friend help me make a beautiful cream colored jacket (same style) for my dress to cover up the spaghetti straps, but at the last minute I was worried it wouldn't look right with all the other bridesmaids. So like two nights before we left I decided to make another jacket. Not wanting to spend more money on material or spend the time to find stuff that would match, I simply cut out the dresses lining and made that into a jacket all by my lonesome! How McGuyvor is that?!

5 comments:

Renee said...

What a fun trip! I wish we were as patriotic as you with our economic stimulus money. We'll have to get tips from you about traveling with childrens.

The Martinsen Family said...

How McGuyer are you!! You're AWESOME!! HEy what did Trav have to do to send back his MP3 player. I've been meanig to call, but I'm to lazy r Taiz is eating my phone. Just let me know, either by postin it on our blog, email, or calling. Love ya guys
Jenn, Ben ans one crazy princess

Jenny said...

Sounds like so much fun! Leave it to little kids to sleep through the whole thing.

You are so resourceful making a jacket out of lining--that is awesome!

Sue said...

It is so good to see your sweet family. We still miss your family here in Atlanta. So many good memories of days gone by. Love from Jim and Sue Towhey

Ashley B. said...

So, I don't remember McGuyver being that gorgeous -- but I understand the comparison. You looked fabulouso!!!! Thanks for coming to my wedding!