April 27, 2008

Boiled Peanuts

I love crock-pots. I don't think I can stress this point enough. Those little beautys can make some of the best meals with the smallest amount of preparation. When my brother was in college he wrote this bluesy-esque song called "The Crock-pot Blues" basically lamenting the fact that women aren't more like crock-pots in general. (Jono- care to post a little portion of that ditty?) I thought it was great then and I still do. Anyways, my crock-pot is great. We've named ours Steve (that's a whole other post) -- feel free to dub yours with whatever moniker seems pertinent. Please keep in mind the temperament of your crock-pot when deciding on that oh-so-perfect name and trust me, naming it WILL make your food taste better.
I can make any number of exquisite edibles in Steve and this weekend I tried a new one -- boiled peanuts.

Many of you may remember my post from last year about the perfect way to eat boiled peanuts and my distress over not being able to find any while we were in Georgia over Thanksgiving. After thinking it over, the husband and I decided to take this bag of peanuts we had lying around the house and try to re-create the magic using our handy-dandy crock-pot (Steve).
Anyways, all we did was cover the peanuts with water and add about 1/4 cup of salt and let it simmer on low for a couple of days. The result? Mmmm Goodness. They turned out pretty good; a little harder and not quite as authentic, but still just as tasty. You've gotta love the wonderful invention that is the crock-pot. Thanks Steve.

1 comment:

Michelle D said...

Okay, we HAVE to hear the story of how Steve was christened. You two are hilarious!!!! And Peter IS getting cuter and cuter! Hope to see you all soon!